Nuffnang Code

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Selecting The Right Partner (s)...

I found my other half by chance. For a person who does not believe in chances and coincidences, meeting the guy of my dreams was purely an accident. 

Like all other girls out there, of course I had a man of my dreams, my knight in shining armor, my soul mate. Some guy who would sweep me off my feet and we would ride off to the sunset. 




Hahaha, how delusional I was!

My concept of the perfect guy changed over years. 

Age 15-18, I wanted him to be tall, dark and dashingly handsome and someone who could make me happy. Oh yah, someone who does not drink, does not smoke and does not have any other bad habit, at all. I blame it on all the Spanish dramas I was watching back then. :P

Age 18-24, having become more matured, now my idea of The One was more to character; kind, funny, tolerates well with me AND earns so much of money that I don't have to work at all. Yeah yeah, super materialistic, I know. 

Age 24 and above. My perception totally changed. It could be because of exposure or because of experience. Physical looks have been taken over by personal character and mannerism as the main criteria for the search of the The One. I wanted someone who was compassionate, someone who could make me laugh, someone who could console me when I cry, someone who knows what is compromise, someone who could be my best friend, someone who could blend in well with my family and friends. Most importantly someone who could love me for who I am.




I was not sure how or when, BUT I was very sure that I will meet him someday, somehow. But of course I did not know it when I met him la. Our eyes did not meet across the room and connect. There was no instant attraction. There was no spark or bell sound. My world did not come down crashing and bla bla bla. I never thought he would be The One cause we were just total opposites (read this post : Opposite Attracts). :D

Nevertheless, I was very fortunate for having met HIM, I know. If I didn't, I would have gone through a series of proposal via the normal Indian matchmaking method (a story to tell another day).

As I got to know him, I realized that he was all and even more that what I looked for in a life partner. I do not know if I met his criteria (since we got married, I think I did!).  :-)

Ok, let's cut the crap about my soul mate. What I am trying to say is that, selecting the right partner is never easy. There are many factors to consider, depending on requirements (sorry, I know it sounds so much like some engineering experiment). 

Ultimately, you would want someone who you look forward to come back to after a long day at work. Someone who would be the first person to know if something happens to you. Someone who could make you laugh cause believe me, you will need this a lot in future. Someone who is there for you without questioning you too much. Someone who could be your best friend. Someone who could listen to you when you talk. 

But at the same time, the right partner should also be someone who could tell you off when you make a mistake. Someone who keeps you in check. Someone who sees you at your worst and still loves you for who you are. Someone who accepts that life will never be perfect; there will be arguments and misunderstandings. Someone who could look past all of your shortcomings and still love you unconditionally.



Do not restrict your expectations to worldly things such as physical look, financial and social status. Sometimes it is OK to lower down expectations, what is not OK is to settle down for  the second best just because you think you don't deserve it. 

There's a right partner for everyone out there. It's just matter of time of finding that person.  

I am so glad I found him when I did. :-) 



6 comments:

  1. Such a cute yet meaningful post <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an excellent article...i enjoyed reading and relating every bit of it to myself...hehe,m happy to have found my guy too,aft a looong search..it was worth,of coz! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very very very happy for you too akka... :-))

      Delete
  3. nice...i will tell my story once i found mine thru the normal indian matchmaking way....crossing fingers...

    ReplyDelete