Nuffnang Code

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Opposite Attracts?

Ever heard the term 'opposite attracts' before? I never believed in that till I met my husband. 

We were just so different and I was aware of this from Day 1. As how it is usually, we started off as friends. If anyone would have asked me would I end up with someone like him before this? I would have said 'never'. But then, 'never say never' right? :P

I was the type who is very gung ho and was not afraid to seize the day, he was the type who always took a step back to analyze before deciding and reacting. I was very loud and noisy while he was reserved and quiet. I liked fast beat music, he preferred slow tunes. I like romantic comedies and he likes sci-fiction (ok, this might be a standard behavior of a guy). I spend money where it is worth (even if it is expensive), he on the other hand is thrifty and has a plan on what he should and should not spend on. I loved travelling while he preferred to be at home. I am a skeptic and he is always a believer. Need I say more? It's sufficient to say that we are no two peas in a pod. 

We only knew each other for 4 months before he proposed to me and I accepted. We got married 1 year later. Some would say we rushed into things. How could you possibly know someone well enough in 4 months for you to decide that "this is the person you want to be with the rest of your life"? But here we are, married for the past 2 years, 9 months with a 11 month old baby (soon to be 1 year old). It has been the best experience, so far. (yes, so far). 

Why did it work? Because even though we were total opposites in our preferences, we actually complemented each other like yin and yang in actual life. I always believed that marriage is a compromise itself. And I truly believe this is why we are doing great as a married couple. 

We have had our ups and downs, our fights and reconciliation. But from all of the fights and arguments we have learnt so many things about each other. We learnt to be more compassionate, we learnt to be forgiving, we learnt to be patient, we learnt to accommodate to each other's needs. Does that mean we have changed? No, it means that we are trying to be better partners for each other. 

If previously I used to spend money without thinking, now I ponder before I make the purchase (see how thriftiness can be contagious). And I am proud to say that I have influenced him to go on trips (planned & unplanned) more than he used to do. We still have very different taste when it comes to music, but well, we learnt to enjoy all of it, together. 

I may not be a marriage guru but believe me when I say that with compromise, even opposites can become a pair. ;-)


My husband is now my best friend, my partner in crime, my best/worst critique, my pillar of strength. 




No comments:

Post a Comment